The Ottawa Bahá’í community opened the doors of its new centre located on McArthur Avenue in a ceremony that took place on 25 April 2007.
Among the guests attending the event to dedicate the building were Ottawa mayor Larry O’Brien, Member of Parliament Mauril Bélanger, local city councillors, and representatives of other faith groups.
The centre, which was converted from a restaurant, took 16 months to renovate and houses a bookstore, library, and two meeting spaces for community events. The project was financed entirely through the local Bahá’í community, which only accepts financial contributions from Bahá’ís.
Coverage of the event ran in the Ottawa Citizen, local news outlet Rush Hour, and the website of city councillor Jan Harder.
The Ottawa Bahá’í community has approximately 1000 members and has existed since the early 1940s.
For more information about the history of the Bahá’í Faith in Ottawa, please visit the local community’s website.